It goes without saying that we should all be following the public guidelines that have been set, such as hand washing and self isolating when necessary. However, I wanted to take this opportunity to share some other important information with you.
Your best defence to something of this nature is always your immune system. This system is designed to protect you. For it to operate at its optimum best there are many things you can do to help.
Try to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Variety is essential as this creates a diverse microbiome (the collection of microbes and gut flora that resides largely in your colon). We know that 70% of our immunity resides within your microbiome so it is an essential, key component of a healthy immune system.
If you eat meat it is important to choose your meat from a local farmer who promotes organic, grass fed farming, such as The Story – who also happen to deliver meat boxes.
You can also support your diet by taking supplements. We don’t always get all we need from our food, for many reasons. Therefore, supplementing with good, high quality supplements is a great way to really boost your immune system at this important time.
Top leading nutritional recommendations are:
- Vitamin C – essential for the immune system and a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin C is also incredible for the lungs.
- Vitamin D – switches on key components of the immune system. We know there are at least 90 different essential enzymes that are vitamin D dependant.
- Zinc – repairs tissue damage and activates the immune system.
- Probiotics – promotes a healthy microbiome, which is crucial.
- Water – guidelines for an adult is at least 2 litres per day. So important for your lungs and overall health.
Quality is key when it comes to supplements. I use a small number of companies that do not supply to the usual high street shops. If you want to order for you or your family please give me a call on 07876 641278 and I can give you further information or arrange delivery for you. (If you are taking medication please always check with your GP before taking supplements).
Viruses and bugs love an acidic environment. So it is vitally important to alkalise your body by eating alkalising foods such as spinach, broccoli, cucumber, lemons and tomatoes to name but a few. I also recommend a liquid chlorophyll solution that can be added to your daily water. Alkalising your body while you hydrate. As above you can always call me for more information on this or to place an order.
4 Thieves Vinegar
This recipe is said to have cured the plague!
- 1 tsp each cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon.
- 2 tsp’s each peppermint, sage, rosemary.
- 2 tsp’s crushed garlic.
- 1 litre of cider vinegar
Mix well and take 1 tsp per day.
I cannot stress enough how vitally important it is to have a healthy, balanced nervous system. This phenomenal system of your body is responsible for either giving the command to nourish your immune system or deplete it.
When we are in a state of stress, fear or anxiety, your nervous system activates every hormone in your body that puts your body in a state of red alert. As this is happening your immune system and digestive system become compromised. So how can you help achieve a healthy, balanced nervous system?
- First of all, calm down and take care of your well being.
- Avoid too much media. Check in enough to keep yourself up to date with the current advice, but be sure to switch it off so it does not consume you.
- If you can, spend time outdoors. Nature is gold to the nervous system.
- Yoga (even at home – try YouTube where you can find many classes).
- Meditation. Even if you begin for only 5 minutes a day. There is so much exciting, pioneering evidence around the link between meditation and the coherent functioning of all systems in the body. Again, there are lots of guided meditations on YouTube and you can download many different apps to your smart phones or tablets.
- Deep, slow belly breathing. Lots of us utilise shallow breath in our chest. By sending your breath deep down to your belly you activate your para-sympathetic nervous system (your inner place of calm).
- Tapping over your thymus gland can be incredibly calming for your nervous system but equally it acts as a stimulant for your immune system. This important gland is situated in the upper front part of your chest, directly behind your sternum and between your lungs. Tap with your finger tips for a few minutes regularly throughout the day.
- Gratitude practice. Mindfully spend time each day thinking about what you are grateful for in your life.
- If you can, book some treatments in. A massage can work wonders by calming you and stimulating your body’s detoxification system. If you can’t achieve this, you can brush your skin with a body brush in the shower. This will help detoxify you by stimulating your lymphatic system. Always brush in circular motions towards your heart.
- Exercise. Find something you enjoy, even walking for 30 minutes every day is incredibly good for you. And it gets you out in the fresh air.
- Try to get a good 7 – 8 hours of sleep every night. You are at your most restorative between the hours of 10pm and 2am so try to be in bed by then.
- Connection with one another – Love holds the highest vibrational frequency in the universe. Take any essence of fear, resistance or anxiety you have in your body and use that built up energy to look for someone you can help, love or connect with. This is our power and it is infinite.
Sending all my love and heart felt energy to you all.